Once you’ve bought some of our healthy and unique Tarragon, you’ll want to know how to harvest it! That’s why we’ve put together this step by step guide on how to properly prune and take leaves from your Tarragon plants. Keep reading to learn exactly what you need to do to keep both you and your herbs happy.
How to Harvest Tarragon & Prune it
The first step is to be confident! You won’t hurt your plants if you know what you’re doing, and this guide will teach you, so don’t worry about hurting your herbs, they actually like a trim.
- The best way to get started is to remove all of the dry, brown and dead-looking parts of the Tarragon. It’s an easy step and it will be easier to separate them now rather than after your harvest.
- Next, you’ll need to know when the right time to harvest is. Tarragon will grow the most in late spring, so you’ll be able to get the largest harvest around this time. When the plant reaches about 3 inches above the soil, you can take anything above that amount, but just be sure not to cut away more than 20% of the plant.
- Now you need to know what parts of the plant you should take from. You’ll want to snip off the newer, lighter coloured shoots, as new growth has the most flavour and cutting it encourages the rest of the plant to grow. Start from the top of the herb, then go down, just above the next set of leaves, and cut. You can leave some of the new growth if you are a nervous beginner, as this will give you the chance to practice.
- Tarragon is a delicate herb, so to be sure you won’t damage the leaves, cut the parts you want using clean scissors, as this will be the easiest and safest method. Freshly cleaned scissors will also ensure that your herb remains healthy.
- Last but not least, enjoy! And, we have recipes that you can check out to get the most out of your Tarragon, click here.
To learn about the other herbs and varieties you’ll need to prune, stick with us. We’ll tell you everything you need to know about harvesting all your SEASON herbs!
Fresh herbs can lift any meal but sometimes the range of herbs out there can feel a little bit overwhelming. We’ve put together some of the basics for you to...
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.